It’s a year since I started this blog. I began it to create a space to write again. At the time, I wrote that I wanted to "to explore how putting two disparate items together can lead to a pattern, a picture, perhaps even ... a story."
Little did I imagine that writing this blog would pave the way for real, distinct and positive changes in my life. What am I on about? Well, as a direct result of my blog, I have:
- Met and got to know some amazing writers
- Founded and run a successful book festival
- Featured in The Guardian
- Started reviewing at Bookmunch
- Been shortlisted for last year’s Manchester blog awards
- Taught creative writing to local community groups
- Survived losing my day job
- Joined the wonderful bloggers’ network BlogNorth (still waiting for the badge, guys!)
- Begun to feel part of a creative community locally
- Begun to create a community of like-minded people around me
My modest aim has repaid me a thousand fold, and I hope has benefitted others too. Thankyou for reading and supporting this blog. I don’t know what next year brings, but I will keep writing, and try to stay open to possibilities and opportunities. Happy birthday, blog!